Saturday, October 06, 2007

My Uncle the Medic- Enlisted October 5, 1942




Here's to my Uncle Harry, who enlisted on October 5, 1942. He is 84 and the last of my Mom's 7 siblings.

He was a combat medic, landed at Normandy, was in the Battle of the Bulge, helped liberate a concentration camp. Heard Patton give that speech, just like in the movie. Went through France, Belgium and into Germany until the War ended.

He drove an ambulance. One night, he drove with one hand while he held a bandage over a GI's chest wound with the other hand. He made it to the Aid Station, but not in time. I asked him how he felt about that memory. He said "I feel OK, because I did my best for him" and he smiled.

He is one of the kindest, gentlest most humble men I know. So many of the combat vets Ive met are like that.

Thanks, Uncle Harry

-Rog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home